New York, New York 10:11 p.m. 2005-04-03

Check out my E-Bay Auctions!

So, I am in New York City!!! We made it here! And, you know what they say: "If I can make it there, I'll make it any..."

You get the point! We got up at 6:00 Daylight Savings Time - meaning 5:00 real time - and drove to my mom's place. She took us to the airport, and is taking care of my doggie. What a mom! We arrived at the gate, after passing through the new and improved security systems, and I went to Popeye's to get some cheese grits and sausage, which I finished on the airplane. I then slept for an hour. I never sleep on airplanes.

I found a really cool article in the Air Tran magazine about the New York Doll Hospital. Maybe we will go there, although the pictures of doll parts lying around do not make the place look inviting. I guess I never got over Barbarella - you know the scene when she is attacked by dolls?

Segue - I was trying to find a picture of the Barbarella scene, and I found this: A contest where WB stars are super-imposed onto classic images. Some people have a LOT of time on their hands.

We got a shuttle from LaGuardia to our hotel, the Park Central New York. On the way over, I was able to eavesdrop on conversations in two languages. Our driver was from Colombia, so he was speaking Spanish to his dispatcher/friend. We also had some French Canadians on the shuttle, and one woman was switching from accent-free English to Canadian French. I decided not to try and communicate, because I wanted to pay attention to my first NY experience.

After checking in, my husband fooled around a bit with the wifi connection at the hotel, but we wanted to get a bite to eat before meeting a friend who lives in New York right now. We looked around for a place to eat, and decided pretty quickly on The Carnegie Deli. There, we were seated immediately and given a plate of two kinds of pickles. I am not normally a dill pickle person, but these were awesome and I was really really hungry. We ordered the Number 14, called Ah! There's the Reuben! It was a huge open faced sanwich of corned beef brisket, sauerkraut, and cheese, with a side of Thousand Island dressing. It was $23.99, plus a $3.00 charge for allowing us to split it! Loved it, but we had no room for dessert. Maybe later.

Our friend, LuAnn, who works as the Art Ministry Coordinator at Redeemer Presbyterian, met us at the Carnegie and took us around for a bit. We got Subway passes, and saw Rockefeller Center. I made a mental note to go back to Dean and Deluca to shop.

We returned to the hotel, and took a nap. Then, my husband spent about an hour trying to wrestle with the wifi connection, which apparently they want to charge us for - but not allow us to access. Thank God for a techie husband. I have some E-Bay auctions finishing tonight, and I have to put more up!

The weather is rainy and is supposed to improve tomorrow. We plan on doing a lot of walking. Tuesday night is Spamalot. This is going to be fun!

previous next

join my Notify List and get email when I update my site:
Powered by

hosted by

Tiedyefor 2003