Mardi Gras and a Quiz! 1:57 p.m. 2005-01-16
Check out my E-Bay Auctions.
The three-day weekend is half over! I have updated my website - go to Maison Celeste and take a look at the Collages I have uploaded.
I have also added another CafePress shop. You can either go to Maison Celeste, and click on Mardi Gras, or go directly to the shop, called The Early Bird Gets the Beads!.
There is a funny story behind that design. My sister and her husband live in Covington, Louisiana - north of New Orleans. Every year, Mardi Gras is a big deal for them. They publish a newsletter, Mardi Gras guide, crown a King, Queen, and other royal court members, and caravan across the Ponchartrain to traditional assigned prime spots along the various parade routes. This celebration is very family-oriented, and usually runs like a well-oiled machine.
Every year, the group - called The Krewe of Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler (a Cajun expression meaning Let the Good Times Roll!) - adopts a T-shirt design that the whole group wears. I had designed one shirt in the past based on a Heap Coat of Arms I found in England. Last year, my sister asked me to come up with another design.
I spent hours searching on the internet, and working with real paper and in PhotoShop to come up with something. As you will see, on a background of gold fleur de lis is a purple, yellow, and green (Mardi Gras Colors) rooster wearing a crown and holding a string of beads in its beak. The motto is "the early bird...gets the beads!" On the front of the t-shirt are three black and white objects (a rooster, a fleur de lis, and a crown) with Mardi Gras 2004 (now 2005) underneath.
Unfortunately, the design was vetoed, because some family members were afraid that people would instantly think "cock" instead of rooster. I suppose that is because other body parts besides breasts are now being displayed in exchange for beads.... (Gee, I hope not!) I took the decision with good cheer, but decided to market it myself!(and, yes, I did include the word "cock" in my MetaTags for the sight!)
I came across this quiz in someone else's blog:
THREE NAMES YOU GO BY ::
1) Mrs. Williams
2) mees! or maestra.
3) Deee-errrr! (that would be a plaintive "dear")
THREE SCREEN NAMES YOU HAVE HAD ::
3) That's it! I am not that original!
THREE THINGS YOU LIKE ABOUT YOURSELF ::
1) My creative and colorful fashion sense
2) I can speak Spanish and French
3) My wacky sense of humor
THREE THINGS YOU DON'T LIKE ABOUT YOURSELF ::
1) I can get so involved in being "funny" that I can hurt people's feelings
2) I can procrastinate to the point where I procrastinate doing things I would otherwise love to do.
3) My large behind...
THREE PARTS OF YOUR HERITAGE ::
3) Somewhere out there - one of my ancestors had to be Mexican! Yo soy mas latina que tu!
THREE THINGS THAT SCARE YOU ::
1) Being on a runaway or bucking horse (likewise being on a rollercoaster, or water skiing)
2) Tall ocean waves and drowning.
3) Leaving perceived security to take a risk...
THREE OF YOUR EVERYDAY ESSENTIALS ::
1) Diet Coke
2) My computer time: E-Bay, Diaryland, e-mail, Free Will Astrology...
3) Time with my husband and dog.
THREE THINGS YOU ARE WEARING RIGHT NOW ::
1) wide-legged, draw-string grey sweatpants
2) Princess Cruises t-shirt
3) Gaudy bejeweled ring made from a recycled vintage earring
THREE OF YOUR FAVORITE BANDS OR MUSICAL ARTISTS (at the moment) ::
(Note: I rarely listen to the radio right now - I am a books on tape addict. I have a bunch of CD's in my car to keep me company when I am between books - none more recent than three years ago! Here are just three that I pull out and listen to regularly!)
1) The Morales Sisters - a compilation of Mexican songs they recorded for their mother. Also Santana and Ruben Blades, for that Latino beat!
2) Zebra, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Commitments - real rock!
3) Live, The Why Store, Matthew Kahler - the most recent!
THREE OF YOUR FAVORITE SONGS (at the moment)::
1) Lack of Water - The Why Store
2) Bears - Zebra
3) Spring Forward, Fall Back - Matthew Kahler
THREE NEW THINGS YOU WANT TO TRY IN THE NEXT 12 MONTHS ::
1) Visit New York City
2) Move my internet business forward
3) Renew friendships and have a social life
THREE THINGS YOU WANT IN A RELATIONSHIP ::
2) mutual admiration
3) moral and emotional support
TWO TRUTHS AND A LIE ::
1) I have met Steve Martin, Helen Gurley Brown, Jack Jones, Steve Howe, and Adrian Belew. Also Laurence Fishburne - oh and that one-hit-wonder who sang "Black Velvet". (I worked in a couple of upscale malls...)
2) I have been told that I look like Scarlett O'Hara, Andy MacDowell, and Bette Midler (try and figure that!)
3) I am always as cheerful and happy - and life is as carefree as my journal entries portray...
THREE PHYSICAL THINGS ABOUT THE OPPOSITE SEX THAT APPEAL TO YOU ::
1) broad shoulders
2) direct, intelligent, kind eyes
3) strong hands
THREE PHYSICAL THINGS ABOUT THE SAME SEX THAT APPEAL TO YOU :: (or you admire?)
1) straight, cooperative hair
2) long eyelashes
3) a flat stomach
THREE THINGS YOU JUST CAN'T DO ::
1) drink coffee
2) any sport that involves balls flying through the air ;-)
3) pass a clock with the time of 12:34 without making a wish...
THREE OF YOUR FAVORITE HOBBIES ::
1) horseback riding
2) cooking and eating out (shopping for food, reading about food...)
3) arts and crafts
THREE THINGS YOU WANT TO DO REALLY BADLY RIGHT NOW ::
1) Eat sushi and have a margarita!
2) Chunk everything and leave for France.
3) Smack one of my students ;-)
THREE CAREERS YOU'RE CONSIDERING ::
1) artist and entrepreneur
2) motivational speaker and workshop instructor
3) owner of a bed and breakfast or retreat
THREE PLACES YOU WANT TO GO ON VACATION ::
1) Scotland and Wales
3) Thailand (When they get cleaned up!)
THREE KID'S NAMES ::
(did I mention I teach a lot of Hispanic kids?)
THREE THINGS YOU WANT TO DO BEFORE YOU DIE ::
1) live in another country again
2) be featured in an art show
3) write my memoirs
THREE WAYS I AM STEREOTYPICALLY A BOY ::
1) In social situations, I generally used to gravitate toward where the men are having conversation.
2) I am often the decision-maker in my household - I have the higher earning, more stable job.
3) I do NOT have any wish to give birth.
THREE WAYS I AM STEREOTYPICALLY A CHICK ::
1) I am also the chief cook and nurturer at home...
2) I am wild about decorating - according to my husband, a man would not care that his towels coordinate with his bathroom decor...
3) I get huge crushes on men - and I really could care less if they are sexually fulfilled. (in fact, I'd rather they not - in the past it has been disappointing!)
THREE CELEB CRUSHES ::
1) Goran Vishnik (of E.R.)
2) Mr. Big (Sex and the City)
3) Pearce Brosnan (especially in Thomas Crowne Affair - YUM!)
Now, YOU try it!